Advertisements on the Internet can be nosy. To get your attention, they are sometimes programmed to pop up in front of your current browser window, obstructing the content you want to see. Even worse, sometimes they will “pop under” your window, so that you don’t see them until you minimize your browser. These ads are not only annoying, but it can interfere with your computer’s performance. The good news is, most modern web browsers provide options for blocking these types of ads.
To configure your browser to block pop-up and pop-under Internet ads, follow the instructions below that correspond to the browser you’re using:
Microsoft Edge is the default web browser included in Windows 10. It replaces Microsoft Internet Explorer, which was discontinued in January 2016.
To disable pop-up and pop-under ads in Edge:
- Open Microsoft Edge and click the three horizontal dots (⋯) icon in the upper-right corner of your Edge window to open the More menu.
- At the bottom of the More menu, select Settings.
- Scroll down and click the View advanced settings button.
- Click the Block pop-ups toggle switch. When the toggle switch is blue, it’s toggled “on.”
2) Google Chrome
Google Chrome includes its own pop-up blocker utility and does a good job at blocking most pop-ups, by default.
If you are running Google Chrome and want to adjust or change how Chrome handles pop-ups, follow the steps below.
- Open Google Chrome.
- In the upper-right of your Chrome window, click the menu icon, which looks like three vertical dots ( ⋮ ).
- Select Settings.
- At the bottom of the Settings page, click Advanced.
- In the Privacy and security section, click the Site Settings option.
- On the Site Settings page, scroll down and click the Pop-ups and redirects option.
- Make sure the Blocked toggle switch is toggled to the left and grey in color, meaning Chrome is blocking pop-ups.
If you are still using Internet Explorer, follow these instructions to enable pop-up blocking:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools (press the Alt key if you don’t see the Tools menu option).
- Click Options (or Internet options).
- Click the Privacy tab
- At the bottom of the Privacy tab, you should have a Pop-up Blockersection. If you want pop-ups to be blocked, check the Block pop-upsoption (may also be titled “Turn on Pop-Up Blocker”). You can also set additional options, such as disabling sound or the info bar whenever a pop-up is blocked, by clicking the Settings button.